Spitzer Law Offices help the injured throughout Ohio & Texas to recover the compensation they deserve.
In Ohio, divorce is a legal process handled as a civil lawsuit, ultimately serving to terminate a marriage. The court is responsible for making final decisions or approvals on various divorce-related matters, such as property division, child custody, and child support. Understanding the intricacies of local regulations is paramount, as these decisions can have a profound and lasting impact on one's future.
Navigating a divorce requires careful consideration, making the assistance of an Ohio divorce lawyer crucial. Due to the sensitivity and intricacy of divorce, having a legal professional guide you through each stage becomes essential. An attorney can protect your rights and help you navigate the legal landscape with a clear understanding of the state’s specific domestic laws.
At Spitzer Law Offices, we recognize the significance of personalized and compassionate representation in divorce cases. We take the time to understand our clients, their unique circumstances, and their goals. This approach allows us to tailor our legal strategies to seek a fair and favorable outcome for each client. Our commitment to providing support extends beyond legal insights—we prioritize building a client-focused relationship.
The Grounds for Divorce
Comprehending the distinction between "no-fault" and "fault-based" grounds for divorce is crucial. In a no-fault divorce, spouses are not required to prove wrongdoing. On the other hand, fault-based divorce demands that the petitioning spouse substantiate their claims by providing witnesses and evidence.
Ohio Revised Code § 3105.01 outlines the recognized legal causes for divorce in the state, providing for fault-based and no-fault grounds.
These reasons include the following:
- Either spouse being married to someone else at the time of the current marriage
- Abandonment lasting at least one year
- Extreme cruelty
- Fraudulent contract
- Gross neglect of duty
- Habitual drunkenness
- Confinement in a state or federal prison
- Obtaining a divorce in another state without the involvement of the other party
- Living separately for one year
- Mutual agreement on incompatibility
A Look at the Divorce Process
Getting a divorce involves a structured legal process that demands clarity and understanding.
Below are the steps for ending the marriage relationship:
- Residence requirements: The spouse petitioning for divorce must have lived in Ohio for at least six months and resided in the specific county they are filing in for at least 90 days.
- Filing the Complaint: One spouse starts the process by filing a Complaint for Divorce with the court. This document details the grounds and sets the legal proceedings in motion.
- Service of Complaint: The court serves the other spouse with a copy of the Complaint and a summons. The served spouse can file an answer within 28 days after receiving these documents.
- Resolution of issues: The divorce is finalized when the spouses reach agreements on crucial matters such as property division, child custody and support, and spousal support. The spouses may consider mediation to foster amicable resolutions. Alternatively, a judge may decide based on Ohio laws if the spouses can’t settle the matters.
Throughout this process, the guidance of legal professionals is indispensable. Attorneys are crucial in providing counsel, meeting legal requirements, and representing their client's best interests.
Why Choose Spitzer Law Offices?
At Spitzer Law Offices, we pride ourselves on providing a personalized touch to every case. When you choose us, you work directly with Attorney Spitzer, which means your case benefits from his insights and commitment.
Transparency is the foundation of our client-attorney relationship. That is why we keep our clients informed about the status of their cases.
Every member of our team is dedicated to understanding and caring about our clients’ legal matters. Divorce is a sensitive and emotional journey, and our team provides legal support and a compassionate approach to guide clients through the challenges.
"I would hire him for anything I would ever need in the future."Missy K.
"I highly suggest Joel. He fights for your rights and I had nothing but a great experience!"Jenny A.
"He was quick, confident, and efficient. I would definitely recommend him to anyone!"Morgan B.
"Joel goes above and beyond because he truly cares. If you are ever in need of legal counsel, contact Joel immediately."Linda C.