The Spitzer Law Offices helps the injured throughout Ohio & Texas to recover the compensation they deserve.
Large commercial trucks, such as 18-wheelers, big rigs, tankers, flatbeds, box trucks, dump trucks, and more can cause horrific injuries when colliding with smaller vehicles. Some of these trucks can weigh up to 80,000 pounds when fully loaded. They are massive in height and length which means when you are struck by such vehicles, your chances of being injured are much greater than those of the truck driver. Such injuries can range from multiple broken bones to organ damage to catastrophic injuries, such as brain injuries and spinal cord damage, sometimes leading to death.
Truck accidents are generally complex matters due to the potential for liability to be shared by multiple parties. Whether this is due to a trucker driving recklessly, or a faulty part failing, several individuals or parties may be responsible for the Ohio truck accident you were in. Sometimes, this can lead you facing an independent trucker, an insurance company, and/or a large corporate entity with a legal department. When in such a situation, having an Ohio truck accident lawyer by your side maybe your best bet when it comes to recovering compensation.
In these cases, it is vital to gather and preserve evidence as quickly as possible before it is lost, rearranged, or hidden. Other interested parties may act to obscure what happened, so acting promptly may be the only way to ensure that you have what is necessary to document your claim. At Spitzer Law Offices, our team understands how to get this done along with all the other facets of the legal process related to personal injury claims in Ohio.
Contact Spitzer Law Offices at (740) 675-6858 to arrange your free consultation with a Ohio truck accident attorney today.
Who Can Be Held Responsible for an Ohio Truck Accident?
Ohio has many Interstate and other highways across which commercial trucks travel daily. At any given time, these trucks can be involved in traffic crashes that put the lives of others at significant risk of injury or death. However, if a truck accident occurs due to negligence, then the responsible parties are liable for the damages caused.
Here are a few of the different parties who may be liable in the event of an Ohio truck accident:
- The truck driver. These drivers are regulated by the federal government as to the hours they can drive per week and the number of rest breaks that are required. These rules may be ignored by drivers to meet deadlines, resulting in fatigue. To combat fatigue, they may take intoxicating drugs. They may also engage in distracted driving through cell phone usage or other means, as well as ignore traffic laws.
- The trucking company. These companies may be responsible for the improper vetting of drivers, poor driver training, ignoring federal regulations as to limiting drivers’ service hours, poor truck maintenance that can cause brake failure or other issues, and other negligence leading to traffic accidents.
- Loading/logistics companies. When trucks are improperly loaded or overloaded, it can cause cargo to shift or trucks to tip, setting up the driver for mishaps.
- Truck manufacturers. Companies that manufacture trucks and their parts may have been negligent through defective parts designs, materials, or assembly. If a defective truck part contributed to or exacerbated your injuries, manufacturers may be liable.
What Are the Common Causes of a Truck Accident?
Large trucks have huge blind spots, are notoriously slow to stop, and are difficult to maneuver. These hindrances can all add to the risk of accidents that can range from rear-end collisions to rollovers, head-on crashes, jackknife accidents, and underride crashes where smaller vehicles slide underneath the truck. These latter accidents are especially dangerous as the smaller vehicle can be crushed. However, these factors are not the only elements that can contribute to a truck accident.
Truck accidents can be caused by a number of different factors, including:
- Fatigued truck drivers. As discussed above, truckers are often overly-tired due to their long hours and lack of rest breaks. This can lead to reduced reflexes and slower reaction times which can cause them to miss things in the road.
- Distracted truck drivers. Much like regular drivers, truckers may also get distracted while driving such as texting or talking on the phone while behind the wheel.
- Drunk or impaired driving. Truck drivers may try to take drugs or alcohol while on duty which can cause them to make mistakes that lead to an Ohio truck accident.
- Improperly loaded trucks/cargo shifting. If cargo is not loaded properly, it can shift during transit and cause the truck to become imbalanced. This unbalancing may lead to a crash.
- Malfunctioning parts. Bad brakes or ill-maintained tires can cause Ohio truck drivers to lose control of their vehicles, leading to an accident.
How Can a Ohio Truck Accident Attorney Help After You Suffer a Truck Accident Injury?
As in any accident, the compensation available to you will depend on the type and extent of your injuries and the specific losses you incurred, and whether you were partially at fault for the accident. We will document everything needed and, once the fault has been established, we can pursue maximum compensation for your medical expenses, lost wages or income, property damage, pain and suffering, emotional distress, and any other damages relevant to your case. Our team has the skills and tenacity you need in seeking justice for what you have suffered.
At Spitzer Law Offices, we understand the devastating effects that Ohio truck accidents have on victims and their families. We are dedicated to helping you get the compensation you need for your medical bills and other damages related to your Ohio truck accident injury. Contact us today at (740) 675-6858 for a free consultation with an Ohio truck accident lawyer who understands how to fight for justice on your behalf.
"I would hire him for anything I would ever need in the future."Missy K.
"I highly suggest Joel. He fights for your rights and I had nothing but a great experience!"Jenny A.
"He was quick, confident, and efficient. I would definitely recommend him to anyone!"Morgan B.
"Joel goes above and beyond because he truly cares. If you are ever in need of legal counsel, contact Joel immediately."Linda C.